Sunday, April 14, 2019

Fundraising Done, Now What?

So with fundraising now successfully done, what would be things that we needed to consider before embarking on our journey to Russia?

Work.

I am a teacher in a school and I needed to make sure that school were on my side in terms of the treatment I was going for and the legal aspects of time off work and pay. Luckily for me, the council that I work for entitles me to 6 months full pay in such situations. This was a massive burden off my back. However, I needed to communicate this with them and to explain my condition, as well as the proposed treatment. I probably didn't do this soon enough and would advise having this conversation at the earliest possible opportunity to prepare your employers as best as possible so that they can put things in place for you.

I had agreed with Anastasia out in Russia that I would start the treatment on 12th March. I could have done it earlier, but that wouldn't have given me enough time to sort myself out. I was lucky enough in having PPMS that I didn't have to have a "washout". People who have relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis are almost always on some form of disease-modifying drug. As a result of being on these, to have HSCT treatment, they need to be free from these drugs for some six months. This six-month washout means that there is often a delay in booking their treatments. This can be good as it gives some longer to fundraise for their treatment.

For me, on the other hand, it came so quickly! Time at work started running down and moment got closer and closer. Before long, I was considering what I would have to pack. Work will kind enough to give me a week off beforehand to make sure I was prepared for it went to Russia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Covid Jap Update - An Overdue Post!

 I actually recorded this ages ago but forgot to post it. Hey ho! had both jabs some time back for Covid - Astra Zeneca - but had quite an a...