Sunday, April 28, 2019

First Meeting with MS Nurse Post-HSCT

A couple of days ago, I had my first meeting with my MS nurse. I was really interested to see how this meeting would go, because it was the first one since having my treatment. The meeting couldn't have gone any better. I shared all my information with my MS nurse and it actually ended up being a meeting with two nurses. Due to the fact that I have had HSCT, there has obviously been some talk in the local area as far as multiple sclerosis care is concerned. I have become a little bit of a guinea pig and people are following my journey with some interest. 

I am the first case of HSCT that my MS nurse has experience and she is very interested in the whole process, largely because she knows that she will meet more patients who will want to follow this journey both privately and on the NHS. One of my local hospitals, in Southampton, will be starting HSCT treatment for multiple sclerosis this year. Unfortunately for people suffering with primary progressive multiple sclerosis, it will only be given to people with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. But, it's a start.


So I had a second (male) MS nurse and my regular (female) MS nurse very interested in exactly where I am at now and the treatment that I received. Due to the fact that I have kept my MS nurse really well updated, and due to the fact that I am documenting my journey through my blog and my vlog, my nurse was already in a very good position in knowing where I am at. 

One of the key takeaway points here is how much she and the neurologist appreciated my sharing all the data and information that I had. For those of you interested in going to Russia for their treatment, here is a really good tip for you. Send the HSCT information document that is available on the Russia HSCT Facebook forum, as well as from the Russian team themselves when you sign up the treatment, to your neurologist, MS nurse and any other professional involved in your treatment. They really really appreciated mine. It put their minds at ease knowing exactly what treatment I would be getting, what drug regimens and the aftercare that was expected for me. The MS nurse repeated how important this was for getting my neurologist onboard for supporting my HSCT treatment I did this right at the start of my journey and I am now in the process of sharing all of my post-HSCT data and information with them. It is this openness of relationship between myself and my MS nurse that is particularly appreciated by my MS nurse.

Anyway, I'm repeating what I'm undoubtedly going to tell you in this video. So, watch the video!





No comments:

Post a Comment

My Covid Jap Update - An Overdue Post!

 I actually recorded this ages ago but forgot to post it. Hey ho! had both jabs some time back for Covid - Astra Zeneca - but had quite an a...